Watering Cans are portable container, usually with a handle and a funnel, used to water plants by hand. The Company was founded as J.Haws in 1886 and based in Clapton, North East London. John Haws first worked out his improved design and method of manufacture from a French made waterpot (or can as they are now called) and designed a can with perfect balance.
Whether full, half full or empty the can could be used without undue strain to the operator. To this day, the original design has not been altered in any major way. John soon designed and patented his very own watering can. A can with a canister body and breast to prevent spillages while pouring. It had two handles, one for carrying and one for tipping. It was soon recognized by top gardeners and in 1894 received the National Chrysanthemum Society Gold Medal award for his improved watering can.
John Haws died in the early 1900s and his nephew Arthur Haws joined the business on behalf of John’s daughters. He was under a lot of pressure from cheap imitators but by innovating filters and roses to control water flow he was able to maintain the high quality of Haws. In 1925 production was moved to Bishop’s Stortford in Hertfordshire where around 40 employees handmade 200-250 metal cans per week. All watering cans were inspected by the works manager, or Arthur himself prior to dispatch. During the transition from Clapton to Bishop’s Stortford the famous brass medallion found on all Haws Watering Cans had to have the address changed, and a message to the public was “Your watering can is not a genuine Haws can unless it features the Registered Trade Mark.
Showing all 3 results